Licensing Q&A: How to determine the right sub for a Red Hat server?
Determining the right number and type of subscription required for your Red Hat server depends on a few factors, including the type of server, the software applications installed on the server, and the level of support required. Here are the key steps to determining the right number and type of subscription for your Red Hat server:
- Determine the type of server Red Hat offers several different subscription types, depending on the type of server you have. For example, if you have a physical server, you would need a physical subscription, while if you have a virtual server, you would need a virtual subscription. There are subs that cover both physical and virtual guests.
- Identify the software applications installed on the server Red Hat subscriptions are typically based on the number of sockets or cores on the server, as well as the type and number of software applications installed. It’s important to identify all of the software applications installed on the server and determine the subscription requirements for each one. You need to take Ito account that there are multiple paid add-ons that can be installed on your RHEL instance.
- Determine the level of support required Red Hat offers several different support levels, including Basic, Standard, and Premium. The level of support required will depend on the criticality of the server and the level of technical expertise available within your organization.
- Consider the subscription term Red Hat offers subscriptions for different terms, ranging from one year to three years. It’s important to consider the subscription term when determining the number and type of subscriptions required, as longer-term subscriptions may provide cost savings over the long run.
- Consult with Red Hat experts Finally, it’s always a good idea to consult with Red Hat experts to ensure that you are getting the most out of your subscription. Red Hat can provide guidance on subscription types, support levels, and other factors that can help you maximize the value of your Red Hat server subscription.
In summary, determining the right number and type of subscription required for your Red Hat server requires careful consideration of the type of server, the software applications installed, the level of support required, the subscription term, and other factors. By following these steps and consulting with Red Hat experts, businesses can ensure they are getting the most out of their Red Hat server subscription.
Need a custom ITAM analysis or automation? Licenseware creates great licensing content, but even better ITAM analysis engines! 💪
Get custom ITAM development and analysis work using app factory ⏱
Or book a call with one of our specialists 🧙♂️
If you find our articles useful, register for our monthly newsletter for regular industry insights 👇